"One might conveniently summarise the Realist position as
- The maintenance of the national interest is the 'prime directive'
of all nation-states. This is the procurement of power and the
desire to dominate and subjugate other states
- There can be no political position which is neutral
- All states have an ethics of responsibility - state leaders
must maintain the security of the state at ALL costs, even if
this means threatening or using force.
- The anarchical state of international relations forces the
escalation of military strength sufficient to act as a deterrent
- Economics is subordinate to military might, the former being
only useful in promoting the latter
- The state is the source (communitarianism) and condition of
quoted from "Beginning Postmodernism", by Tim
Woods, Manchester University Press, 1999, p 242.
Clearly, this traditional approach is
A. not sustainable
B. a view which is still being applied and practiced by many states
C. difficult to counter by anyone who disagrees or takes a different